Xewkija Primary School opened its doors in a house in Triq Santa Katerina in 1861. It catered only for boys . In 1862, a second school was opened for girls. Both schools were moved to two different premises in Triq it-Tiġrija in 1937. The building of a spacious school in Triq il-Ħamrija started in 1955. It welcomed the first intake of students in 1958. It was later renamed Rosa Magro, a former headmistress from Xewkija in 1999.